October 5, 2013

EXPAT LIFE: CALIFORNIA FUN FACTS

JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS STATE PARK -2011-


One of the most interesting things about being an 'Expat' is getting to know a new country. And this in a very different way than a tourist would. You want to make friends in your new country and create a happy existence and you can't do that without getting to know it better and understanding it. 

I wouldn't say I'm blending in here yet. I still try to bag my own groceries (every time). It's a constant inner sturggle. I still don't know whether I'm supposed to respond to 'Hi, how are you?' or just reply with the reason of my coming into the store, which eventually results in an awkward Hi, how are you - Hi, good - How can I help you - How are you? conversation. Oh, and I never know what to say when they ask 'Debit or credit?'. It's like a trick question!

But without wanting to sound like a culture clash survivor - you can hardly speak of a clash here - there qre a few interesting things I've discovered about California so far... 
  • First of all, my name forms a constant struggle. And I'm not talking about my maiden name (I've long given up on that one - my study abroad in the UK taught me that). For some reason the French just spell Nathalie with an H and I really have to bite my tongue to not say ... 'Yes, the H is silent'
  • Our local pool is 50 meters long and 25 yards wide... WHY?
  • Starbucks is so much cheaper here. Not that I drink coffee but I feel sorry for everyone who does in Europe and has to pay almost triple the price!
  • I can confirm... it really never rains in California. I haven't seen a single proper downpour in 3 months. This might be the longest I have ever gone without rain. Not to worry though, everyone tells me it's coming.
  •  6 AM is the new 8 AM. Californians are so disciplined. Even on the weekend.
  • I think Nick owns one of the only remaining stick shift cars in Southern California (might I say the whole US?). I guess it's a sign.
  • No one here eats bread and cheese or bread and nutella... Of course they do, but definitely not in the amounts I'm used to.
  • There are public bathrooms everywhere. It's like a girl's dream.
  • Hasn't anyone else noticed that no one ever honks here? Roads are extremely silent. Bottling it all up isn't healthy, you know!
  • There is a drive-thru for everything. Even the Pharmacy. And the post office (only drop off though). I confess, I'm starting to like that idea. 
SOURCE
Are you living away from home? I would love to hear the fun facts of your new home country or favorite tourist destination! And how do you keep in touch with your 'old' habits?

Definitely to be continued...




NEDERLANDSE VERSIE --->>

Wat voor mij altijd het leukst is aan niet in eigen land wonen, is een nieuwe omgeving en cultuur leren kennen. En dit op een compleet andere manier dan een toerist dat eigenlijk doet. Je wil vrienden maken, toch? En gelukkig zijn? Geef toe, dat is haast onmogelijk zonder je je nieuwe thuishaven eigen te willen maken én te proberen begrijpen.

Voorlopig ga ik hier nog niet op in de massa. Ik moet mezelf elke keer weer tegenhouden om mijn boodschappen in te pakken aan de kassa (je mag die vriendelijke kassierster haar werk niet afpakken, hé). Een ware innerlijke strijd van jewelste. Ik weet ook nog altijd niet goed hoe te antwoorden op het vrij lege 'Hi, how are you?' en of er echt geantwoord moet worden of je gewoon best met de deur in huis valt. Af en toe resulteert dat dan in van die pijnlijk ongemakkelijke Hi, how are you - Hi, good - How can I help you - How are you? conversaties die niet volledig kloppen. 

Maar genoeg drama voor vandaag... Je kan moeilijk van een cultuur clash spreken hier, maar er zijn toch een aantal dingen die me hier ondertussen zijn opgevallen:
  • Eerst en vooral zorgt mijn naam hier voor nogal wat gefrons. En dan heb ik het niet over mijn achternaam (da's een strijd die reeds lang geleden gestreden is in Londen en verticaal werd geklasseerd). Ja, de Fransen schrijven Nathalie met een H en ik moet me soms echt inhouden om er niet aan toe te voegen... 'yes, the H is silent'.
  • Ons lokale zwembad is 50 meter lang en 25 yard breed... WAAROM?
  • Starbucks is belachelijk goedkoop hier. Niet dat ik elke dag mijn koffie nodig heb, maar het is oneerlijk voor alle Europeanen die dikwijls drie keer zoveel moeten betalen voor dezelfde cafeïne.
  • Ik kan bevestigen dat het 'echtig' waar nooit regent in Californië. Ik heb nog niet een degelijke stortbui meegemaakt sinds ik hier drie maanden geleden toekwam. Mijn persoonlijk record, denk ik. Geen zorgen hoor, iedereen blijft me hier vertellen dat het eraan zit te komen. 
  • Zes uur 's morgens is het nieuwe 8 uur en hier word zelfs ik niet als ochtendmens beschouwd. Petje af voor de discipline, zelfs tijdens het weekend.
  • Ik denk dat Nick met één van de enige auto's met versnellingen hier rijdt. 't was voorbestemd, denk ik. 
  • Brood en kaas of brood en Nutella wordt hier niet gegeten... of toch niet in de hoeveelheden die ik gewend ben.
  • Openbare toiletten vind je letterlijk overal. Een ware meisjesdroom die uitkomt.
  • Heeft er iemand al gemerkt dat niemand hier ooit claxonneert? Het is haast muisstil op de weg. Dat allemaal opkroppen kan toch niet gezond zijn mensen!
  • En je kan hier voor bijna alles een drive-thru (wordt wel degelijk zo geschreven) vinden. Zelfs de apotheek heeft er een. En het postkantoor (wel enkel voor het posten van brieven)
SOURCE
Heb jij leuke toeristische anekdotes of Expat avonturen? Ben altijd benieuwd naar de 'fun facts' van jouw nieuwe thuis/ favoriete bestemming! 
En hoe probeer je die vertrouwde gewoonten toch nog een beetje te bewaren?Wordt ongetwijfeld vervolgd...

2 comments :

  1. Oh my, Nat, you made me LOL. You don't have nearly enough people commenting on your blog in English! C & I just got back from Europe and we have a similar list....(I confess, we were in southern Germany and Austria, mostly, but it's all Europe, right?)
    1. What's with the lack of ice in beverages? Is there a shortage?
    2. Why ARE public bathrooms so hard to find?
    3. Is there a secret code for understanding when small businesses are actually open for business?
    4. In Germany, the beer is cheaper than coffee, so skip Starbucks.
    5. In German, the word "bitte" means about 12 different things, depending on context!
    What I love about Europe are the bakeries! Real bakeries where the pastries were made right there at 0400! And they are elegant - served on a plate with a fork, to be enjoyed and eaten in the café, not bagged and eaten in five minutes in the car on the way to work! And if I could, I'd eat bread and cheese, and drink a bottle of wine every day! Alas, there would be a price to pay on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you could definitely apply those to Belgium as well!
      1. It's funny because when McDonalds first opened in our street my mom and dad complained about how much ice there was in the drink! And nowadays they usually order their drink specifically without ice. The only thing I could think of is that it's because we don't get free refills...But then again we never put our coke in fridge at home either.
      2. I have NO idea. I wish they weren't because you really have to plan your day around that!
      3. I once tried to go to a small shop three times in one week and it was closed every single time! No hours posted online or at the door :p I guess we just put up with it and they don't change it.
      4. I guess that's a good point ;)
      5. Luckily we don't have that to worry about, but I've heard that Dutch can be a very confusing language too.

      I do miss the bakeries too! I used to have fresh bread from the bakery every day and pastries and rolls on Sunday... I'm sure we can find a good European bakery around here somewhere! Oh and scale-wise it's the other way around for me... American food is so very tempting and new to me and usually sold in such colorful packages that I find it difficult to resist ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...