January 26, 2014

EXPAT LIFE: LIFE LATELY

SOURCE


How was everyone's weekend? I can proudly say I did a few useful things over the last two days. You better sit down for this one... I bought my first piece of American furniture and it's a drying rack! They do exist on this side of the ocean but they're hard to find. And guess what? I ended up picking the craziest shape I've ever seen because it needs to fit in the bath tub. Amazing huh? On Sunday we went on a long ass-kicking hike, which made me realise just how out of shape I am after the holidays. Not fun, but definitely an eye-opener. And even though I'm not writing a lot, I do procrastinate occasionally (some things never change) and I thought I'd share some of the things that are keeping me entertained these days. 

Reading
One of my friends recently recommended the Mara Dyer books and Delirium trilogy to me. I am a sucker for a good YA novel (who am I kidding? ANY young adult book will do). Needless to say I finished 90% of those in under a week. Yes, I do feel proud of that and I can definitely recommend reading Mara Dyer to anyone who's into that genre. I love her character, but also the strangeness of the story and how the author developed it. One tip though, skip the synopsis on the back. I don't know who wrote that, but it's horrendous and it doesn't represent the book at all. I'm still debating on the Delirium trilogy. Oh, and while I was in Julian I bought The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. You know, as some counter weight... 
Watching
Well, we were watching House of Cards (and loved it) but have moved on to a new, very disturbing show so far called Damages. I'm sorry but Glenn Close just reminds me even more of Cruella 'that devil woman' De Vil in playing a manipulating lawyer. In between those two I'm still working on the final episodes of Mad Men. It's a hard life.
SOURCE





Listening
To the mixtapes my friends made for me when I left Belgium. It's bittersweet. One, because my car is very basic so the radio antenna doesn't work anymore and the tape deck I used to connect my iPhone to the speakers with has now passed away too... The CD player is really all I have. And I've left all of my CDs at home (heartbreaking I know) so thank you friends (you know who you are) for making my car rides a lot more agreeable. And I absolutely love this one. It makes me think of Joy Division and The Smiths and adds that bit of darkness that Southern California so desperately needs sometimes. 

Wanting
I'm really thinking about doing something adventurous with my hair and I've always (ever since I studied abroad in London cause you know, British girls are ahead of us in the fashion department) wanted a streak of colour in my hair. But I've always been too chicken to actually do it. I work from home so it wouldn't bother anyone but Nick probably... The blue is maybe a bit much, I'm thinking a subtle shade of pink. What do you think? Maybe it's more something for people with blonde hair? Arrgh the choices!
SOURCE













Hope you had a great weekend!!

2 comments :

  1. Oeh! Een kleurtje! DOEN!
    Subtle Shade of Pink klinkt niet slecht! De twee foto's rechtsonder vind ik echt leuk en ik geloof dat je er goed mee zou wegkomen.
    You go girl! Live on the edge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally gonna do it aaah ;) Ik hou je op de hoogte, merci voor die extra 'push'

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...