February 1, 2014

OUT AND ABOUT: WILD ANIMAL PARK

San Diego Safari Park



Last year I visited San Diego in March and as you can tell from the pictures the weather was amazing as usual. While my friends and family suffered from another winter storm (I might have been a tiny bit jealous) I was enjoying 25 degree weather. It was a bit too early in the year to swim in the ocean so Nick convinced me to go to the San Diego Safari Park. Even though I absolutely don't like animal parks (animals don't belong in cages) I have to admit that the Wild Animal Park has its benefits. San Diego is known for its animal parks, especially the San Diego Zoo, but if you're ever around and have to make a quick decision I'd recommend skipping that one and visiting the wild animal park instead. Admit it, a safari just sounds like more fun, right?

Vorig jaar was ik in maart op bezoek in San Diego en zoals je ziet was het weer toen ook al geweldig. Terwijl de vrienden en familie in Belgie een tweede winterprik kregen (ok, ik was een klein beetje jaloers) kon ik al mijn zomerkleren bovenhalen en genieten van de 25 graden buiten. Het water was nog net iets te koud om in zee te zwemmen dus heb ik me maar laten overhalen om naar het San Diego Safari Park te gaan. Hoewel ik helemaal geen fan ben van dierenparken (dieren in kooien zijn niet echt mijn ding) moet ik toegeven dat het 'wild animal park' toch zijn leuke kantjes heeft. San Diego staat bekend om zijn dierentuinen, vooral vanwege de San Diego Zoo, maar als je ooit in de buurt bent en keuzes moet maken, raad ik toch dit park aan boven de gewone zoo. Geef toe, een safari klinkt toch veel leuker?  

Last March there was a Butterfly Garden 


The absolute top of the bill thing to see is the Cheetah run. Those animals are the rock stars of the park and if you want front row seats you better get there and hour in advance (made me think of a real concert). Ok, it felt a bit wrong to have a cheetah perform just for our entertainment but to be honest I was to excited too think about my principles at that time. There was a magnificent animal roaming almost free in my immediate surroundings and it was incredible to see how fast that giant cat can run... The cheetahs get special training to cope with so much attention and also need their daily sprints. Earlier that afternoon we almost ran into one being walked around the park by its care taker with a companion dog.

Het absolute topevenement van het Safari Park is de Cheetah Run. De dieren zijn letterlijk de rocksterren van het park en wie op de eerste rij wil zitten kan best een uur op voorhand al een plekje komen bemachtigen (Rock Werchter much?). Ok, het voelt een beetje fout om een jachtluipaard zijn 'kunstjes' voor ons te laten opvoeren, maar eerlijk gezegd was ik veel enthousiast om daar op dat moment aan te denken. Er was zowaar een prachtig dier in mijn onmiddellijke vrije omgeving en om dan ook nog eens te zien hoe snel zo'n grote kat kan optrekken... indrukwekkend! De jachtluipaarden worden uiteraard getraind om met zoveel aandacht en stress om tegaan, maar ze hebben hun dagelijkse sprintjes ook nodig. Eerder die middag hadden we een van de medewerkers een wandelingetje zien maken door het park met het jachtluipaard en zijn persoonlijke hondenvriend. Superschattig! 

Rock Star Cheetah

Baby Elephant

Apart from that, you can make it as much safari-like as a zoo can get. All the 'prey animals' live together on a big lot and visitors can take a sort of train around the closed area. Rhinos, giraffes and other smaller animals live there in a semi-natural environment without the stress of having to watch their backs. 

Voor de rest is het zo safari-achtig als een zoo maar kan zijn, alle 'prooidieren' leven samen op een groot stuk grond en bezoekers worden met wagentjes rond het afgebakend gebied gereden. Het is dus een semi-natuurlijke omgeving waar neushoorns, giraffen en andere kleinere dieren in alle rust kunnen rond dartelen.  


The petting zoo

Overview of the park

The petting zoo, yes it's for children but I don't care, was my absolute favorite as you can see... the tigers didn't want to come out so I couldn't admire them. After that visit I had to admit that maybe not all animal parks are bad and many are trying to prevent species from going extinct. I just sort of wish we didn't need them and animals shouldn't have to be confined to be 'safe'. But  anyway, life sucks sometimes as they say. I'm off to work this afternoon and tomorrow I'll (hopefully) be able to enjoy my birthday weekend a bit more. Yes I made it into a weekend, I thought that was fair.

De 'petting zoo', eigenlijk voor kindjes, was zoals je kan zien mijn absolute favoriet... De tijgers hadden zich die dag verstopt dus die kon ik niet bewonderen. Al bij al moet ik toegeven dat misschien niet alle dierenparken slecht zijn en dat vele ook gebruikt worden om diersoorten van uitsterven te beschermen. Maar diep vanbinnen had ik toch gewild dat we zo'n parken niet nodig hadden en dat dieren niet in kooien hoeven te zitten om veilig te zijn. Maar goed, het leven is een strijd zeggen ze dan, nietwaar? Ik ga hier sebiet terug aan het werk en morgen kan ik (hopelijk) eindelijk wat van mijn verjaardagsweekend genieten. Jup, ik heb er een weekend van gemaakt. Ik vond dat dat wel mocht... 

Enjoy your weekend!

6 comments :

  1. Yep, a safari sounds definitely more fun than a plain zoo! Nice photos, it seems like a good idea for a daytrip :)

    Actually I've never been to a 'real' zoo, only to the Loro Parque in Tenerife and some parks where you can see local animals in open-air fenced areas. I think I'm not so attracted to the idea of seeing animals in cages either.

    Fijne week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds a lot nicer than the zoos I've been too! In Antwerp the zoo just seems out of place and way too small... But luckily there is another animal park where the animals live more in 'nature' so I prefer that :) And the safari park is definitely perfect for a day trip!

      Groetjes!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Nathalie! Thank you so much for dropping by and the good wishes ;). I've been living in SoCal for 3 years (and 3 days, to be precise, haha) and still haven't been to San Diego! I've been to Vista several times, which is not too far from them, but I need to go to SD. It's kinda far from Ontario, where I live, but I've heard it's really cool down there; well, it obviously looks interesting in your pics!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miki! Thanks for returning the favour ;) I had to google Ontario (I haven't been living here long enough haha) but that seems cool to be so close to LA! I would love to explore that city a bit more. And yes, SD is definitely worth a visit if you ever have time. We live a bit outside the city, but let me know if you're ever around :)

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing!

    No idea it was in San Diego!

    ps, i'm doing a giveaway through the weekend, if you want to enter!

    www.aandbctheworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you- I would have done the petting zoo too! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...