March 21, 2014

DAILY ROUTINE: LET'S TALK ABOUT FOOD

MY FAVOURITE FOOD CHAINS

1,2,3,4,5,6
Life in California is a constant battle against temptations. There is food everywhere and you can have it whenever you want. I didn't used to eat out much before I moved here, but it's a very American thing to do. And the beauty about it all? The rules of supply and demand result in... very fair prices. Yes, making it even more tempting to just pig out every day. Especially for me, because I'm a lazy person by nature and even more so when it comes to cooking. So I gladly went along with the crazy food chain-ride. I have to admit that I have since toned it down a bit, because you know, it doesn't work unless you start working out like a mad man (there are consequences people!). Anyway for the tourists among you or the lucky ones blessed with a goddess-like waistline: here are my favourites so far... 
  • Chipotle

    Mexican style burritos created by the gods. I have never not had a burrito there, but you can also get tacos or a salad bowl. Don't go for the hot salsa unless you're prepared and for a 1.5 extra you can get yummy guacamole. I cannot resist the full combo of grated cheese, sour cream and guacamole. It's a bit more expensive than your average fast food chain, but it's also a bit healthier than greasy burgers.
    PS: there's one in London too and Paris I heard!
  • The Broken Yolk

    My absolute favourite breakfast place. It has one of the best (in my opinion) breakfast burritos in town and I usually have to pick between that or the Nutella crepes (it's one of the only place I've seen so far that have them on the menu). I admit I haven't tried anything else on the menu, except for the mimosa of course. Fun fact: for those who want eternal fame by eating a ton of food in an hour there's the Iron Man/ Women Challenge. Why? Because it America!
  • Chick-Fil-A

    I guess I'm one of those people who just have one go to item in every restaurant... you're on your own if you want to try something else. So yes, I always order the chicken nuggets at Chick-Fil-A. Because they're somehow so much better than any other chicken nuggets I've had and the place has great mayonnaise to go with it (I'm crazy about mayonnaise ok). I haven't tried their breakfast burrito yet, but the hash browns are delicious. Oh, it's about the only food place in the whole US that's closed on Sunday. 
  • Panera

    The perfect (and only?) place in the area where I can indulge in my love for BREAD. They have pretty decent soups on the menu and delicious salads, but I usually go for the grilled cheese. You can mix and match to your hearts delight and I recommend the bread bowl, which is the greatest food invention of modern times. Soup in... a bread bowl? Yes, please. 
  • Jamba Juice

    As counterweight for all of that fatty food I sometimes just have a smoothie for lunch and Jamba Juice is a good place to go for that. They use frozen fruits which makes it REALLY cold, but it tastes amazing. If you want to be cool you can go for items that are no longer on the list (Nick told me about that). So now I'm ordering an old school  Orangeberry Blitz like a local. PS: be strong and stay away from the pretzels. 
  • In-N-Out

    Well, this is a no brainer. In-N-Out is the best burger place ever. I love how simple their menu is, having to make choices all the time can be exhausting. Although the not-so-secret menu offers a bit more for those who like to customize. Of course I love their grilled cheese with grilled onions, milkshakes and PINK LEMONADE. Confession: I did not like the fries when I first tried them, but I've grown to love them (the special sauce might have helped). 
Anything you want to add to the list or that I should definitely try?
God, I'm really hungry now.  

Have a great weekend, I'm going to be singing along to Kings of Leon tomorrow evening for my first concert in what feels like forever!

3 comments :

  1. Since I moved back to the US a couple of weeks ago I have found myself battling fast-food temptation everyday! I'm trying to remind myself that I live here now, I'm not on holiday, I don't have to eat ALL of it right now!
    Chipotle is one of my favorites too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm still in that touristy phase.. there's just always something I haven't tried yet you know (eventhough I always pick the same delicious things I keep on saying that to myself)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...