April 22, 2014

ROAD TRIP: A DAY IN LOS ANGELES

During my first visit to the US in 2011 Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the following posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The first time I traveled to the US, Nick had planned a whole road trip along the West Coast for us. We were going to drive from San Diego to Seattle in two weeks. It was definitely one way to test our relationship; being crammed in a tiny car with a bunch of stuff, no knowing when you'll shower again or wash your clothes and having no phone reception for several hours in a row sometimes... what can I say, my man likes taking risks. It turned out to be an amazing experience however and we really became a team (by the end, the beginning was horrible as in me nagging about not being able to wash or blow dry my hair and Nick being super annoyed by this). I can be a bit of a drama queen. 




We had planned to spend two days in Los Angeles, but in the end we had to leave a day later (I'm not going to point any fingers, but Nick somehow thought he could start packing the day we would leave which wasn't his best idea) so LA was to be discovered in half a day. A lot of the things I wanted to see had to be cut because we were just going to be focusing on one area. So I picked Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. Whether that was a wise decision I do not know, since I still have to pay the city of Angels a second visit. I do know that I had not expected LA the way I found it; giant, spread out and with no apparent 'city center'. You definitely can't cover it in one day so our mission was doomed from the beginning. 




I had looked up that the Whiskey A Go Go was on Sunset Boulevard (and Kat Von D's tattoo shop off Sunset Boulevard) and that this famous street is next to that other famous one: Hollywood Boulevard (or at least where we had parked). Naturally, the European girl in me decided to walk. Biggest. Mistake. Ever. Do not - ever - try to walk to places in LA, unless maybe on the beach. We had walked for approximately 15 minutes when Nick decided to look on his phone exactly how far that place was on this street. Yep, we turned around with our tails between our legs and went back to the parking lot to get the car. Thank god the stubborn part of me realised there was no reason to press the matter unless you really want to walk 500 miles and then walk all the way back. I mean a 1000 blocks does sound pretty far, right? So we did see the place where The Doors started out...






I really liked the part of Sunset Boulevard closer to the ocean. It looked colourful and more like what people always describe when they think of California. We were only able to see a few sights and drove through most of the city so I will have to go back for the famous beaches and other areas. Our hotel was right near LAX so no exciting views but we booked it last minute and I was extremely happy to put my feet up that evening.

Travel Tuesday
Linking up with Bonnie, Melanie and Tina

Any recommendations for my second visit?
And have you ever realised you were completely unprepared for a city or a trip? 

Stay tuned for Day 2!

2 comments :

  1. This sounds like an awesome road trip! Ha, yes it is pretty impossible to walk anywhere in LA unless you live in one of the smaller suburbs around the city. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip (especially Seattle - love that city so much!) Lovely finding you through the Travel Tuesday linkup! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes haha, I don't know what I was thinking! I absolutely loved Seattle too and we were so lucky it was great weather when we were there! Thanks so much for stopping by ;) xx

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...