April 29, 2014

EXPAT LIFE: THREE PLACES IN MY HEART

The second day of our road trip will be on here a bit later this week, because I just couldn't pass up on sharing my favourite three places with you, guys. So I'm linking up with Bonnie again for this #TravelTuesday!

ABSOLUTELY LOVED: LONDON

THE BT TOWER AS A CONSTANT GUARDIAN
There's no place like London and honestly I think my heart will always be in London. I fell in love with the city at a very young age without ever having been there (Ginger Spice and here Union Jack dress might have something to do with it). I just feel like I was destined to be a London Girl, even though I'd be a pretty broke one... I haven't traveled around in the UK as much as I would like (Scotland!, the Lake District!, Nottingham!), but I did fall in love with its glorious capital fast and hard. So when I got a chance to study abroad in London for a semester I just knew it was meant to be. Needless to say I had the time of my life there and it was my first real experience with student life and living in a residence. Building up my own little bubble of happiness in a major capital was extremely empowering and I met some of my best friends soul mates there. Leaving (yes, I did have to go back to finish my degree unfortunately) was infuriating, I was in love with my life there. And then when least expected I met my American in London... so yes L-town and I are just best buds.

AMAZING VIEW

WANT TO VISIT: STOCKHOLM AND/ OR ALASKA

SOURCE
If I hadn't been so obsessed with the UK, I would have studied abroad in Scandinavia. Norway or Sweden are both high on my list, but somehow Sweden appeals to me in a special way. In my mind Swedish people are stylish and friendly and the country just runs like clockwork. I know reality might not be exactly like my pretty little illusion, but still! I've always wanted to learn Swedish and wear reindeer sweaters while shoveling snow. That's my idea of a perfect moment, there's just no chance of doing that in San Diego you know? So naturally, I feel I would also want to discover that rugged beauty called Alaska. No?


CURRENTLY LIVING IN: SAN DIEGO

BEAUTIFUL BALBOA PARK
San Diego is possibly the place with the least chance of rain or snow, so it is sort of the opposite of all the places I listed above. It's an understatement to say I never expected to find myself here, but life just doesn't like to be told what to do, doesn't it? Anyway, it's the first place I've ever lived that is completely out of my comfort zone (that being Europe) and this southern most city in California and I have a special bond because of that. I'm starting to get used to the many days of sunshine, breathtaking scenery and active lifestyle. Soon I probably won't even remember what it feels like to always having to take your umbrella with you. It's been a crazy year getting used to a completely new environment but I think I'm getting there and I'm definitely starting to realise the beach will always be at my side here. 

FIRST TIME AT A BASEBALL GAME
What are your dream destinations or favourite places? 


Travel Tuesday

12 comments :

  1. I don't want to destroy your dreams but Sweden definitely differs from how you imagine it :D But still it is a beautiful country and you can never go wrong with a visit to Stockholm! London and Alaska are both still on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha illusions officially smashed ;) I can't explain it but I'm just drawn to Scandinavia. Is that weird? London is absolutely amazing, but I'm biased of course...

      Delete
    2. No that's not weird! I have been fascinated of Scandinavia since I was 12 and in 3 months I'm moving there for my grad studies. I still love the region even though I have a more realistic view on the culture now so don't worry ;)

      Delete
  2. Haha yes! Ginger Spice had a bit to do with my love for London as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not over them splitting up... And I still want that dress ;)

      Delete
  3. Go Sweden! Ha-ha! I always feel very proud when people talk or write about Sweden in a positive way. I love Sweden, I would love to live somewhere else for a few years but I think I'll always come back here. Summers in Sweden are aaaamazing (well. If it doesn't rain all summer, that actually happens). You should definitely visit Stockholm! It's a gorgeous city. And very cozy, small and compact compared with other capitals. You can see a few pictures from my last visit to Stockholm in my blog: http://helloimcaroline.com/ :) Oh, and by the way! I love San Diego too! I lived there for 3 months a while back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good to hear! You have good reason to be proud of your country ;) A lot of my friends go to Sweden regularly and one of them studied abroad in Uppsala. So I really would like to go someday but being on this side of the world... it may take a while ;) You lived in San Diego? How did you like it? I feel like I should explore it more, because I haven't really been enough of a tourist here... I'll definitely check out those photos, thanks!

      Delete
    2. I absolutely loved living in San Diego! Watching the sunset in La Jolla and go shopping in Fashion Valley... I worked as a nanny for 3 months but it was not nearly enough time there! California will always be one of my favorite places in the world.

      Delete
    3. Oh that must have been an amazing experience! We just moved to La Jolla ;)

      Delete
  4. I am also totally in love with London! I'm so jealous that you studied there. When it was time for me to choose where to study abroad, for some reason I really poo-pooed the idea of going somewhere where they spoke English, so I chose NL - not a bad thing obviously, but if I could go back and nudge myself in the direction of England/LONDON ... Man would I ever!!
    Also, I love love loooove Sweden. I've been obsessed with it since I was thirteen and discovered the pop group PLAY, and then decided to try to learn Swedish. Unfortunately only a few inconvenient sentences remain :p I totally feel ya about the reindeer sweaters - pretty much my idea of a fairytale life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessing over reindeer sweaters! ;) I'm need to check out that pop group though, never heard of them! But yes, London is incredible although I can totally understand why you would want to discover a non-English speaking country... I'm always so amazed by people who choose to study in Belgium or The Netherlands, we're probably far too modest but I never understand why they chose (rainy) us over a more exotic destination ;)

      Delete
  5. San Diego looks like a pretty darn great place to live but like you, I'm in love with London :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...