June 17, 2014

CITIES & TRIPS: ANOTHER DISNEY THEME PARK



Some of you might remember a very disappointed post on this blog about Disneyland a few months ago. Well, what I didn't tell you back then is that we had actually bought combo tickets to see two parks in two days. Because, yes, opposite Disneyland there is another Disney theme park called California Adventure. Originally we were planning on visiting both parks in one weekend, but after a very tiring day at Disneyland we decided to postpone our second visit until two weeks ago. 

My favourite: The Tower of Terror
I have to admit that I wasn't particularly looking forward to this day. Flashbacks from Disneyland made me expect long lines and an overcrowded park again. What is it they say about low expectations and being surprised? Maybe it's a Dutch saying, but this park couldn't have been more different from Disneyland. The whole experience was so much more enjoyable, from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. 

The fact that California Adventure opened in 2001 and is much better equipped for large crowds might have something to do with that. The roads are wider, the rides are more exciting and there are a single rider lines; so this one's definitely my favourite of the two!

Cars Land
Cars Land
Did we do anything differently? We arrived a bit earlier since the park opens earlier in summer, we did get fast passes as soon as we entered the park this time (thanks to Nick's aunt and uncle) but the thing is... we didn't really need them. Most people started arriving when we had already gone on most of the fun rides (some of them even twice) and by that time we were exhausted anyway. So we either picked a really good weekend or California Adventure is just the park to pick!

Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue!
Louigi's Flying Tyres
As we didn't have to wait 80 minutes for a ride, I didn't take that many pictures. You'll just have to trust me when I say that the decor, especially Cars Land, is stunning. My faith in theme parks has been officially restored!

Things I (recently) learned at Disney theme parks: 


1. Getting there early to beat the crowds pays off
2. Collect your fast passes for the most exciting rides, but don't let it get in the way of you actually going on one. The line to get fast passes for the Radiator Spring Races was just as long as the one to actually get on.
3. Pick the single rider line whenever possible; isn't this the best invention ever? It saved us so much time.
4. Definitely buy water BEFORE you get thirsty
5. Don't overdo it, if you've had enough but haven't been on all the rides just call it a day or have dinner! There's always next time and pushing it isn't going to make it a better experience.


Have you ever been to California Adventure?
Ps: I can't not mention this... Belgium won today!!!




Travel Tuesday
Linking up with Bonnie, Van, Sammy and Kaelene

9 comments :

  1. As a self-proclaimed Disney expert, this are GREAT tips. Isn't Cars Land the most wonderful thing ever!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I was so impressed with this theme park!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love Disneyland, but haven't been in a good 10 years, so the cars land is new to California Adventure. I am excited to eventually go back (maybe on my next visit to California?). I'm also glad that the park was redeemed for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! Be Sure to let me know what you think ;) Yes, I'm really glad I could forget about my other experience, because I really wanted to like the Disney parks!

      Delete
  3. I've only been to Disneyland Paris when I was younger and I don't know if I would want to visit another Disney theme park...they're all so crowded....and as I'm afraid of heights, most rides are just the horror for me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California Adventure definitely has a few more 'scary' rides :p But I'm glad this one didn't feel as crowded as Disneyland!

      Delete
  4. Oh I'd never heard of California Adventure! I'm not usually into amusement parks because I tend to avoid crowds and stuff, but it seems this one can be interesting because perhaps it is underrated? I'm officially intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it either and it seems only people in California know what it is, so I would definitely consider it a bit underrated! If you arrive really early and pick your day carefully it isn't too busy so I would recommend this :)

      Delete
  5. The thing I hate the most about theme parks is the lines.. which is actually what I'm sure everyone would find the most frustrating. I am actually not a huge fan of rides.. I like wandering around and eating the over priced food haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...