June 9, 2014

ROAD TRIP: SUNSET STATE BEACH

During my first visit to the US in 2011 Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the previous posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After walking around the Julia Pfeiffer Burns campground we were headed further north. Destination: a (to me) unknown place between us and the glorious city of San Francisco. Sunset State Beach is, as you might assume, almost literally on the beach and the campground is located close to the city of Watsonville, in an area known for its agriculture. It might not be anything special compared to McWay Cove... there were showers and no possible horror movie scenarios and honestly that was all I needed at that moment.


We slowly started realising one flaw in our road trip schedule: packing and unpacking every day was very tiring. Looking back, I would probably stay longer in more place but that also means your trip up the coast will take twice as long and we didn't really have that much time.  

Sunset State Beach reminded me a bit of the Belgian coast: grey skies, a gradual beach with dunes and just a long, flat stretch of sand. We took a long walk down the beach and saw the most peculiar thing (I've always wanted to say that)... there was this squadron of pelicans just queuing to take off. They took their sweet time while every single bird waited patiently. It was definitely a bit creepy but also fascinating so we sat there for a while and watched them. 


Things I will forever associate with Sunset State Beach are showering by the quarters, taking eerie photos (see below) that look a bit like old Flemish paintings (booze and grumpy faces: check) and the fact that we woke up in the middle of the night from water dripping on our face. I don't mind admitting that I didn't expect rain or any kind of dew in California and boy, was I wrong. Our biggest mistake was placing our not waterproof tent underneath a tree... And that was the worst night ever. 


Even though Sunset State Beach was an 'inbetween' place on our way to more exciting times, I really enjoyed staying there and seeing more remote and alternative parts of California.

Hope you had a nice weekend!

Travel Tuesday

8 comments :

  1. I just love the beach! The wind, the sand the water, it's all wonderful! Your pictures are beautiful! Those birds look freaking big though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camila! Yeah they were pretty impressive and wouldn't move over (they were totally claiming their beautiful beach) :)

      Delete
  2. I bet that if you live in California, you're glad to stumble upon places that are less touristy and more like hidden gems! Must be exhausting to be surrounded by tourist hotspots like LA and San Francisco....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely worth to explore some more :)

      Delete
  3. I had no idea that Watsonville had a beach--it was always just I place I would drive by on my way along the coast. Good to know! Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now you know for next time ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was my first time and it really was great! We stayed at a few other campgrounds near the beach during that trip, some of them (up in Washington) are really special :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...