August 26, 2014

ROAD TRIP: SAY HELLO TO OREGON

During my first visit to the US Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the previous posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day #10


Once we left our campground in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park we were en route to Oregon, a brand new state to me and the second state I ever visited. The Oregon climate is similar to Belgium in that it's wet (or so I've heard, we were in luck because the weather was beautiful in August) but the views... well, those are something entirely different. 

Oregon is only the 27th most populated state and it seemed like a very peaceful place to me. Apart from Portland with 583,776 inhabitants, the state has very few 'big' cities with Eugene and Salem as second and third largest city with just around a 155,000 inhabitants. If you keep in mind that San Diego has over 1,3 million inhabitants you see why. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to oranges (apples to pears in Dutch sounds so much more logical) but I liked the peace of Oregon, its rugged coastline and I absolutely loved Portland. 



THE DIFFERENCES

Oregon might be very different from California in population and very different from Southern California in surroundings, but what was interesting for me to see is how much states can differ from each other. It's not as distinct as driving to another country in Europe of course, but still... states do have different laws and Oregon, for example, has no sales tax making it cheaper for overall living. More than that however, I've heard that in Oregon speed limits are much stricter enforced (going 10 miles above the speed limit is normal down here) and so Californians often get pulled over if they're not paying attention. Also there's no self service at the gas stations in Oregon, they have employees who do that for you. And that, my friends, is about the craziest fun fact I have for you about Oregon!



THE CAMPING

When it comes to campgrounds... I'm very sorry State of California, but Oregon just kicks your butt. Over and over again. Camping is much cheaper in Oregon and generally I've experienced that the campgrounds and infrastructure are better maintained. I don't mind paying for my showers in California, because I know water is scarce but you'll have to step up you're game if you want to come close to the service in Oregon, CA!

Humbug Mountain State Park was our home for one night. It was one hell of a windy spot, with excellent showers and a narrow walkway to an amazing beach. The surroundings were beautiful and provided the perfect setting for a quiet evening of reading, walking on the beach and catching up on some sleep. 

INFORMATION
Humbug Mountain State Park
Port Orford, OR 97465
Tent site rate: 17 dollar during summer 



Have you ever been camping in Oregon?



Travel Tuesday

Linking up with BonnieCamilaJessi and Amy for Travel Tuesday

18 comments :

  1. I am originally from Washington State. I have been down the entire coastline-- from northern Washington to southern California-- multiple times and totally agree. Oregon has the best campgrounds {and in my opinion beaches too}. A summer favorite camping spot of mine is Nehalem Bay in northern Oregon. It's right on the ocean and close to the Lewis + Clark hiking trails. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nehalem Bay looks really pretty! That's definitely on my list for a next road trip ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Living in California, I've spent a little bit of time in Oregon. This is my favorite state in the U.S. It's absolutely beautiful and a wonderful state to visit. I have often thought about moving to Oregon.

    The whole state is not wet like the coastline though. If you go inland or to eastern Oregon it becomes forest and high desert. It's quite beautiful. If you have time you should go through Bend which is in central Oregon (it's a pretty hip little town, very cute and lots of things to do). Or for even more of a small town feel head over to eastern Oregon where even fewer people live.

    I have a few posts about Oregon on my blog if you want to read them. I love Oregon and I'm glad you were able to experience this wonderful state!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would move to Oregon too if I could... or Washington, I really liked it there too :) But perhaps I haven't seen enough states to be able to call those my 'favourites'. I just looked up pictures of Bend and it looks gorgeous. I definitely need to explore Oregon some more! Going to check out those posts on your blog as we speak.

      Delete
    2. To make it a little bit easier, as I'm not sure how hard it'll be to find, here's the first of the Oregon posts (there are three): http://www.californienne.com/my-oregon-trail-part-1-alvord-desert-steens-mountain/

      Delete
  3. Oregon has always been a bucket list destination for me and your pictures definitely prove that it's wonderful there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help, Van ;) From what I've read on your blog I think you'd definitely enjoy Oregon and also... we sort of like the same places!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your stunning photos of Humbug Mountain State Park. Did you hike the mountain trail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! Unfortunately we only camped there one night and didn't have time to really explore the park and hike... Hopefully some day!

      Delete
  5. Every time I see a blog post about the coast of Oregon or Washington, etc. I'm always amazed by how gorgeous it is! I mean it looks like it could be the coast of Asia or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregon and Washington were really breathtaking. I've never seen anything like it... maybe that means I should go to Asia!

      Delete
  6. One of my friends lives in Oregon and she's a geologist and is always getting to go the the most beautiful places there. It's truly a stunning part of the world! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I've only seen the coastal area, but hope to go back for some inland exploring soon :)

      Delete
  7. I love me that Oregon coast! They have the best beach camping in the world I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely do! I immediately fell in love with Oregon :)

      Delete
  8. Oregon looks so gorgeous! Recently, it's been on my bucket list as somewhere I'd like to hit in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty amazing, I'm sure you'll love it! :)

      Delete
  9. We took a family road trip to Oregon this summer and I fell in love with the coast! Tide pools are amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...