September 16, 2014

ROAD TRIP: CHASING NIRVANA

During my first visit to the US Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the previous posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Have you ever visited the hometown of a musician, writer or any other type of celebrity that you really admired? If yes, you know how special that moment can be. Or maybe it's an iconic venue like The Cavern in Liverpool, the Whisky A Go Go in LA or CBGB's in New York, those are moments that will stick with you if you're that kind of music lover! 

I'm a pretty big Nirvana-fan so visiting Aberdeen was very special to me. It was one of my only non-negotiable required stops on the road and Nick was probably just wondering what the hell we were doing in a random city in Washington. 


Driving into Aberdeen there's a sign greeting you with lyrics from the famous song 'Come as you are'. It was only afterwards that I learned that sign was added in 2005. To say that Kurt Cobain and the city of Aberdeen have had a rocky relationship, would be an understatement. And being there... I could understand why. It's like they were each others worst enemy but at the same time they made each other famous. The acceptance of Kurt Cobain's legacy might have started off slowly but as time heals all wounds today you can visit several places that are prominent in Nirvana-songs and Aberdeen even had its first Kurt Cobain Day this year (although I doubt he would have liked that). 

We were only in town for a very short visit, more like a drive through actually so went to the Kurt Cobain Memorial park on the banks of the river Whiskah, where we saw the bridge that he supposedly slept under. We drove through the area and he grew up in and past some of the houses he lived in. I realize I'm sounding like a stalker now and I have to admit I kind of felt like one at times, since we were the only people there.  


Aberdeen seemed like a completely different world to me - and in no way similar to my own hometown - but I could see how they sometimes refer to it as 'the birthplace of grunge'. Driving around the city and walking on its streets you can even still feel a ghost of that music lingering around. 

Who's your favourite musician? 



Travel Tuesday
 
Linking up with BonnieCamilaJessi and Amy for Travel Tuesday


10 comments :

  1. I love your shots of the street. It does look eerie.. Nirvana is also one of my favorite bands, and I wish I get to visit Kurt's place too! I heard they're selling his house for half a million.. were you able to see it though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! You should really visit if you can, it's worth it in my opinion. We did see his house but I don't have any pictures of it :( Wow, I didn't know they were selling it for that much! That's crazy.

      Delete
  2. Very cool that you got to see where Kurt grew up! It's always interesting to see the roots of the people who inspire us - nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very strange indeed to see this place and realize that one of the musicians you listened to during high school grew up there... Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Fav musician is Van Morrison!

    I am dying to go here. Looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I don't really know Van Morrison (or maybe I do but I don't know it's him?). Anyway I definitely have to fill up that gap in my music knowledge! It's definitely a beautiful place in a very grungy way... I don't think I could live there but it's definitely worth a visit :)

      Delete
  4. That's pretty sweet to be able to see where your favourite musician lived. I'm kind of fascinated by the fact that the town/kurt cobain didn't havent a good relationship. I don't know much about Cobain, but I'm guessing living in a place that looks so idyllically ordinary must have been weird for him...or perhaps I'm wrong and it doesn't have anything to do with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was really excited about being able to go here ;) You're kind of right when it comes to the place being idyllically ordinary... Kurt Cobain having the reputation of a drug addict didn't help and with his (at the time) extreme opinions on gay people, feminism and him wearing women's clothes on stage, I guess he probably just didn't feel like he fit in...

      Delete
  5. I've never been super into grunge but I must say the way you describe the town and its relationship with Kurt (or vice versa?) really intrigues me. Your pictures make the place seem almost a little bit spooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very strange place (to me at least) and I think it can feel quite remote and spooky too (especially on a rainy day) but maybe that's just because I associate it with the music so much :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...