September 30, 2014

ROAD TRIP: RUGGED BEAUTY IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST

During my first visit to the US in 2011 Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the previous posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KALALOCH CAMPGROUND & THE TOWN OF FORKS




Reaching Kalaloch meant that the end of our Road Trip - catch up on the other stops here - was fast approaching. In a way I was definitely looking forward to that after being on the road for two weeks and having to pack and unpack our carload of stuff almost every night. Kalaloch was going to be our last night sleeping in a tent, because our next stop would be Seattle! 

Still, I was so glad Nick decided to include (remember, he prepared the whole trip) this beautiful spot on the West Coast. California is definitely beautiful, but Washington simply took my breath away and I can safely say I had never seen anything like it. It's so green (which reminded me of home) and it looks mysterious with its fog shrouded forests. 


The Lodge


The Quinault Indians came up with the name 'Kalaloch', which literally means 'a good place to land' and I can see they were right. The campground and lodge are part of the Olympic National Park and a great place (also the only place on the coast from what I've read) to stay at if you're thinking of visiting Ruby Beach or Beach 4. A post on those famous beaches will be up next week!

As per usual, we had reserved a campsite and setting up our tent for the last time felt good. This road trip was honestly something I'd never really expected to do, but having seen so much of the US in such a little time was an eye-opener and felt really rewarding. Obviously there's an even bigger world out there, but for me it definitely started here.

Drift wood: a guaranteed source of entertainment

For those who know the place or are 'Twilight'-fans, yes, Kalaloch is technically in Forks, but it's still a 40 minute drive from the actual town. Nick did not know about the other touristic reasons for visiting this area when he made our reservation. Now, I'm not a die hard 'Twilight'-fan but I did read the books and since we were this close I made Nick drive into Forks after we visited those famous beaches. Just to see it, you know. I didn't see any film locations but we did see people sell 'Twilight' fire wood. That puzzled me for some obvious reasons. Does it sparkle when you hold it in the sun? I really just wanted to fall for that sales trap to find out. Oh and Forks has a Stephenie Meyer-day. Did anyone know that?  



For more information about staying a Kalaloch Lodge, visit their website.
Kalaloch Lodge
157151 Highway 101
Forks, Washington 98331
 

Have you ever been to the Olympic National Park?



Travel Tuesday
 
Linking up with BonnieCamilaJessi and Amy for Travel Tuesday


4 comments :

  1. I don't know why, but I never really registered that Washington could be so beautiful - great pictures! I'm not a huge Twilight fan, but I've read all the books and watched all the movies - I don't think I'd be able to resist catching a glimpse of Forks either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it one of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen :) But then I really like the more rugged (and rainy) areas.

      Delete
  2. I've stayed at this campground! It was one of my favorite places I've ever camped. It's so pretty!! I have always wanted to go back and stay at the Lodge or one of their little cabins. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you! It's an amazing spot and it definitely took my breath away. Staying at the Lodge should be fun too, now I'm thinking of doing that too ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...