October 14, 2014

ROAD TRIP: WASHINGTON BEACHES & TIDEPOOL FUN

During my first visit to the US Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the previous posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Another week has flown by without me noticing it, which is why there was no Road Trip-post. I don't seem to be very good at scheduling posts or at sticking to a blogging schedule so I probably shouldn't even try so hard! But instead of just rushing to get this post over and done with I'd rather sit down and take my time to write something coherent and (perhaps?) mildly interesting. So here it goes... 

Something Nick was really looking forward to when we reached Kalaloch was going to the tide pools. I can't say that I really knew what he was talking about since I'd never really seen a tide pool (no rocky beaches in Belgium) and I definitely didn't see the point in getting excited over it. That is... until I saw one of course. 


Beach 4 is a great place to go look at some tidal sea life around Kalaloch. There are guided tours you can take to go look at the tide pools on this beach, but we decided to go on our own. It was actually a lot of fun and more adventurous than I expected what with climbing all those rocks trying not to slip or get wet when a wave crashes into them! It might not be as exciting as seeing a tiger or a shark, but at least it's real - actual - wildlife and you don't have to watch your back (expect maybe for those waves remember). Oh and... I touched an anemone. Best-Nemo-experience-EVER.


Tide pool etiquette: 

If like me, you've never been in the situation where you had the chance to go look at tide pools there are a few rules to live by. The basics are, first of all: watch you step. Not only for your own safety (the rocks can be pretty slippery) but also to avoid stepping on a living creature that may or may not look alive. Second: you can touch the animals but no poking obviously. Better still is not touching them at all of course, but that might sometimes be too much to ask. And also: no redecorating or relocating of the colourful creatures. Pro tip: and this might seem obvious until it happens to you (thank god for Nick), go at low tide. For obvious reasons the tide pools won't be visible at high tide. 


After having spent a good amount of time staring at rocks, sea stars, crabs and anemones, we were back on the 101 up to Ruby Beach, which is located some 35 miles south of Forks. It's apparently a very famous beach in this part of the country and was named after the ruby-like crystal that wash up on shore here. It's a small walk to the beach but other than that this beautiful spot is very accessible. 


By the time we got to Ruby Beach those few rays of sunshine we had seen in the morning were clearly gone and I guess this is what it usually looks like?  After a very touristic photo session that may or may not have happened we called it a day.


Have you ever seen tide pools? 


   
Linking up with BonnieCamilaJessi and Amy for Travel Tuesday

1 comment :

  1. Your pictures are so lovely!! I lived for a summer in Victoria, which is on Vancouver island, and I was a five minute walk away from a rocky beach and these huge rocky cliffs ... come to think of it I don't know if I ever saw a tide pool but I did love being able to see wildlife just hanging out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...