October 21, 2014

OUT AND ABOUT: (NON-)BEER TASTING IN LA JOLLA

For those of you who don't know this (yet)... San Diego is pretty big on craft beers. In fact it's sometimes even referred to as the 'craft beer capital of America' and I'm assuming that's not to be taken lightly. I have to admit I'm not that much of a beer lover - give me my Belgian fruit beers and I'm happy - but Nick is and sometimes you do crazy things for the people you love. Like booking tickets for a three hour long beer tasting where you end up looking like a wuss because you don't like IPA's aka the really bitter beers San Diegans are in love with.

The beer tasting was a gift for Nick's birthday a few months ago and it was actually a great way to be a tourist in our own city and get to know the area a bit better. Most of the time we just avoid going to the 'center' of La Jolla since it's not the easiest place to find parking or get to in traffic. The tour was organised by San Diego Beer and Wine Tours and they have almost exclusively five star reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor so that was a safe bet for me!

First stop: Karl Strauss Brewing Company



We didn't actually know where we would be heading beforehand. I'm sure the clever internet stalker could have figured it out from the reviews (or bloggers - like me - spilling the beans), but I'm not that clever plus I like surprises. When we realized we were headed to the Karl Strauss in La Jolla I have to admit I was a bit disappointed at first. We've been to various Karl Strauss restaurants already and there my magnificent tour started with... something we already knew. I worried for nothing apparently, because there were plenty of beers on the menu we hadn't tried yet and sweet potato fries to munch on, which makes everything better.

As you can see I didn't even start out strong and left the two last 'soldiers' (that's what they called it) untouched. And then to think I'm from Belgium, the ultimate beer country.

Next up: The Public House



Next stop, after a little bit of a walking detour (great idea to walk it off in between) was The Public House. I immediately liked the atmosphere in this pub/bar since it felt so spontaneous. As if they just turned a house into a pub, which is probably exactly what happened. The walls were decorated with signs from numerous Belgian beers and a lot of other international ones, so you know it's serious. 

Actually, we did get a true Belgian fruit beer served here (I was jumping up and down with joy) and it was shocking to hear that many people hadn't tried it before. Our country basically runs on that stuff and what was even more shocking: a lot of people didn't even finish theirs. Honestly, if this was a fruit beer tasting I would be the pro because I would have had no problems taking care of the left overs. 


Did I mention we were also offered delicious food in between beer courses? That's obviously a good idea when your stomach has to deal with all those beer tasters, but I especially like the food at The Public House. It's also the only picture of the food I took that day. So it must be special. If you're ever in La Jolla and you like good food and good beer you should definitely put this amazing place on your list. 

Last but not least: The La Jolla Brewing Company



By the time we arrived at the La Jolla Brewing Company everybody was pretty much in a good mood and I was dreading the five (!) tasters to come. Enough is enough and I definitely wasn't going to finish all of these. So I focused on the hummus and flat bread. 

Despite the fact that San Diego and I have a very different taste in beer - I do drink most Belgian beers actually - I (we) had a great time. We had an amazing tour guide and a fun group. We got to see a different side of La Jolla and discovered some new places to go to on weekends. 

Do you like fruit beer? Have you ever been on a beer tour?



Travel Tuesday
 
Linking up with BonnieCamilaJessi and Amy for Travel Tuesday


6 comments :

  1. I'm like you - give me a fruity beer and I'm a happy camper, but otherwise beer is just something to drink so make it as mild in flavour as possible please!! haha
    Still, that tour seems really fun and I would have been in for the food alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all the way on the mild side of the beer spectrum on this tour as well! But the food alone was definitely worth it ;)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea that you were offered food as well - I mean tasting large glasses of beer sounds like a bad idea without food, so it's thoughtful of them! And I have never had Belgian fruit beer - and now I feel like I'm missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the tasting glasses are pretty small but yes, it definitely adds up! You should try a fruit beer if you can, the standard one in Belgium is a 'Kriek' (cherry beer) but they have all sorts of flavours like peach, apple or raspberry too :) I've heard some people find it too sweet but I guess I'm used to it haha

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great tour. I tried a fruit beer in Bruges - a Kriek in fact! - and I really liked it. I would like to try find some more to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Oh I'm glad you liked Kriek, hope you get to try some more soon ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...