October 30, 2014

ROAD TRIP: A WEEKEND IN SEATTLE

During my first visit to the US Nick and I took an epic road trip up the West Coast. We traveled from San Diego all the way to Seattle in two weeks, camping along the way. This is the story of that journey and you can read the previous posts here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Behold: Seattle! The last stop on our road trip before heading home, which meant we not only survived two weeks of camping and driving but also a very important relationship test. We were both alive and didn't hate each other, yay! 

The Space Needle

Anyone who's ever been to Seattle is probably already thinking that these pictures look awfully sunny. I think we hit the jackpot when we picked that specific weekend in August. We were told not to get used to it since this was probably the sunniest weekend of the whole summer! 

As you can see we even went swimming in Lake Washington! It really felt like a summer holiday back home when it's one of those really hot days and everyone goes to the local lake or park. 

I still have that sweater
The first Starbucks


Even without the sun though I think I would still have fallen in love with this city. Seattle is right up my alley. It's not too big, not too small, it feels a bit alternative and has amazing views. I think I especially fell in love with the views of Mt. Rainier but for some reason I don't have a picture of that stunning work of nature...

And for those of you who know me by now, I could't ignore the fact that my favourite musician died in this city. There was an exhibition on Nirvana at the EMP Museum so I dragged Nick there and we drove past Kurt Cobain's house on Lake Washington Blvd and saw the bench covered in writings right next to the house. I don't know if anyone lives there right now but it must be strange to have so many people lurking around, trying to catch a glimpse of your house. 



So this is it: no more posts about our road trip. I'm officially closing this chapter but before I do I have to share some idyllic pictures of a hike we did to Rattlesnake Ledge. It was my first proper hike up a mountain in years (remember we don't have mountains in Belgium, just hills) so it wasn't a very relaxing experience. I was constantly trying to follow the group and not look like too much of a European in front of Nick's friends. By the time we reached the top I was done and kind of irritated but the views... completely worth it!

I mean, look at this! We had an overview of Rattlesnake Lake below and just amazing photo opportunities in 360 degrees. Washington is beautiful.



I had an amazing time driving up the coast and Seattle completely stole my heart. We ended up staying there for four days before driving back in two. The way home was a lot less interesting of course since we only took the freeways so I'm going to skip that part and finish strong!

Have you ever been to Seattle?


A very late link-up with BonnieCamilaJessi and Amy for Travel Tuesday

12 comments :

  1. I thought that it looked a bit sunny for Seattle ;) Not that I have ever been there or know much about it haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I started watching the American version of The Killing after our trip and that's when I realized just how sunny it was ;)

      Delete
  2. What amazing weather you guys had!
    I laughed out loud at your comment about 'not wanting to look too European'. Here when I'm dragged into some strange Dutch activity I'm not too fond of, I worry that I look too North American :P Though usually I just go with my built-in excuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've actually started liking hiking since then (shock!), it's the California-effect. You'll have to tell me some of those strange Dutch activities some time, I'm curious now ;)

      Delete
  3. That must have been an amazingly cool roadtrip! Seattle is way up on my must-visit list but I would much rather drive up the coast from Cali, than hop a plane from Texas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, although I mostly started realizing that afterwards ;) I hope you get the same awesome weather on your future visit!

      Delete
  4. Wow those photos up the mountain are beautiful! And I have to say it is very lucky to get such good weather in that part of the continent - and you got to go swim too? Very cool! And I really learned something - I didn't know that's where the first starbucks was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got really lucky with the weather, it was surreal ;) Yes, apparently that's where it all started for Starbucks and there's always a huge line!

      Delete
  5. I love Seattle! You're making me miss it :) my man is from there and we think about moving there someday. It's a great city! And it's even greater in the sun, although there is something that fits with the rain, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely wan to move there one day! And I can imagine it's just as beautiful (but more mysterious?) on a rainy day ;)

      Delete
  6. Seattle looks gorgeous! I must admit, I know little about it and it definitely wasn't on my USA travel list, but maybe these pictures have persuaded me?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blown away by how beautiful it is! Haha I hope they've persuaded you, if you're in the area when you visit the US it's definitely worth a stop ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...