December 9, 2014

CITIES & TRIPS: ONE PLACE YOU JUST HAVE TO VISIT IN HAWAII


Aloha and happy Tuesday (evening) everyone! Back to our trip to Hawaii because I'm taking you on a snorkeling adventure. Of course we had brought our gear to this little piece of paradise and it was definitely worth it. The ocean is already pretty amazing just bodyboarding or swimming in it, but with crystal clear water and the colourful fish to spot... you can't miss out on snorkeling in Hawaii! The great thing about the area we stayed in (and maybe this is just typical for the Islands in general) is that you can basically go snorkeling at any random beach and see amazing things. Which we did. But to be honest, one spot was definitely on another level... 


Captain Cook Monument

The man who 'discovered', basically the first European to set foot there, the Hawaiian Islands was Captain James Cook. It didn't end well for him there but nevertheless you can find a monument in his honour in Kealakekua Bay on the side of the Island we stayed at. And Nick - the little researcher he is - found out that it's also a pretty magical place for snorkeling. At first we thought the cove could only be reached by boat or kayak, but eventually we found out that there is a hiking trail leading down the hill to that very same spot. 

Doesn't this look like paradise to you?
 I've heard this is actually British soil... So I guess we can say we visited the UK as well on our trip
On our way back up the hill...

I'm sure the boating or kayaking trip is fun - especially after seeing an awesome party boat with slides and a BBQ there, but we wanted to save some money and that meant physical exercise! The hike was only around 4 miles round trip but involved some serious change in elevation. The way there was downhill and went pretty smoothly, but hiking to a cove means that the way back will of course be mainly uphill... So be sure to bring plenty of water and a hat for the sun, since there is NO shade. You don't have to take my word for it but I did almost died there! PS: if you want to see turtles or even dolphins you do have to get there before the boats do!

This fish really wanted its picture to be taken and was swimming around while obviously posing for the camera

In the end however, it is definitely worth it. Yes, it was a long way uphill and you're carrying all your stuff, but it doesn't outweigh the memory of getting there and literally feel like you just landed in paradise. It's as if you've discovered this little corner of the world yourself, even though there are a hundred people snorkeling around. But they all came by boat, so that doesn't count. 

To be honest I had never snorkeled before we went to Hawaii - and I definitely lost a lot of hair trying to get that mask off - but now I can't wait to go snorkeling around San Diego. And even though I have nothing to compare it to this spot is pretty special. And based on the reactions of some more experienced snorkelers with me, it can safely say this is a 'you have to see this with your own eyes to believe it'-experience.

Have you gone snorkeling? What is you most amazing experience?


Linking up with Bonnie, Cynthia, Yalanda & Courtney for Travel Tuesday

9 comments :

  1. This looks so fun! I'm kind of scared to try snorkeling because I'm afraid I'll drown lol. Found you via Travel Tuesday...so stoked to find another CA blogger! I'm living in Seal Beach now, but I'm a born-and-raised San Diegan :] The best city in the whole state if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla! I'm so glad you stumbled upon my blog ;) I've never been to Seal Beach, but San Diego is indeed pretty amazing!

      Delete
  2. I've been to the Captain Cook monument!! And I did the hike as well! :)

    Snorkeling in hawaii is really fun. It's nice to just lazily swim about looking at the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water is so warm too! It's amazing :)

      Delete
  3. I really, really, really want to go to Hawaii one day! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the chance you really should! It was a bit of a surreal destination for me :)

      Delete
  4. So fun! I love snorkeling too... I think I could do it for hours! Did you use one of those disposable underwater cameras for those shots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing to go snorkeling there! I did use a disposable camera for the photos... it was my first time using one of those and it took me a while to figure out you have to be really close to something to take a good picture haha. But it was a lot of fun! Also, the colours are so much better in real life!

      Delete
  5. Nice and Interesting Post Dear..... I Like Your Post.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...