December 3, 2014

CITIES & TRIPS: THANKSGIVING IN HAWAII

Hello there! I'm back. I hope all of the American readers had a great Thanksgiving! I don't know why I took a blogger break for a few weeks when my vacation only lasted one week, but it happened. Again. To make it up to you however, the island vibe is taking over the blog today and I will share some Hawaiian sun and pictures of beautiful beaches to battle the short days and cold nights. Does that sound like a plan? 


It was my first time travelling to Hawaii and it's probably even safe to say that I don't think anyone of my family and friends back home have had the chance to go there (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) since it's so far. But still... flying to Honolulu from Los Angeles takes longer than you'd think (almost 6 hours!), a second shorter flight took us to Kona et voila! Let the adventure begin. 

The Big Island of Hawaii is actually the less populated one. I didn't know this, but I can confirm that there were very few people living in the area up north where we stayed. With just volcanic rocks, beaches and resorts surrounding you, what else can you do but relax?  


We basically spent almost every day at the beach - hurrah for beach days in November - and drank too much (is there such a thing?) alcohol. It was bliss. The only downside is that we had to miss the family reunion for Thanksgiving. No turkey for us this year... We had a very unconventional dinner as in a delicious piece of tuna and tried to make pumpkin pie without all the necessary spices. No need to be jealous!

It is crazy how warm it still is there. The weather literally does not change and I am now ready to admit that San Diego does have seasons. The climate does depend on which side of the island you are on (we were on the dry side) and the elevation. One day for example we drove up the mountain to the nearest town - which was about 15 min away - and the temperature dropped 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) and it was pouring outside. But still, where we were it was hot, humid and the water was warm. In short, a perfect place to get some vitamin D during the winter and float around in the ocean. 


So stay tuned for some snorkeling stories, how I refused to use bug spray and got covered in mosquito bites and tips on how not to use a disposable underwater camera. Mahalo!

4 comments :

  1. I was just looking at your blog yesterday wondering where you'd gone! Welcome back :)

    When I was younger my grandparents took our entire family on three consecutive trips to Hawaii for Thanksgiving. It was so much fun and I loved being able to wander around the beautiful island. Thinking back, I can only imagine how expensive that was! But I am thankful none the less. I was able to return to Hawaii about two years ago and had a really nice time, although I've never liked the giant bugs or the constantly sweating feeling. Hawaii is a great destination and I'm glad you had a good time, but that bug spray is essential! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad you thought of me while I was gone Marianne ;) It must have been amazing to be able to go to Hawaii as a kid! One of your friends had gone there with her parents multiple times as well and she was a perfect tour guide ;) But I do realize now that you can't say no to bug spray haha!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Hawaii looks amazing. I need to go there soon. It's so expensive getting there from Europe though! One of the perks of living in the state I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty crazy for me too to realize I was actually in Hawaii haha, definitely one of the benefits of living here ;) I didn't really see or hear many European tourists either, but I hope you get to go one day because it is really beautiful.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...