December 23, 2014

DAILY ROUTINE: MY FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS MOVIES

A few more hours and the official countdown for Christmas Eve and the day itself can begin. I have to work on Christmas but only in the afternoon so I still feel festive about it and tomorrow evening will be filled with French food and movies! On that note I thought I'd share my favourites with you. I saw Marianne's post last week on her blog Californienne and I'm hoping she won't mind me shamelessly stealing her idea! I hadn't seen most of the movies she listed, so be sure to check out her post but it got me thinking about my list. I have to admit though, some of the movies below aren't really about Christmas, but what the hell - it's about the feeling right? 

HOME ALONE (1990)



Let's begin with a classic and dare I say THE Christmas movie of the last 20 years? I can't really believe it was released in 1990 - I mean, I was born that year! Anyway, I just never seem to be able to get enough of this movie. I've seen it so many times and it's still hilarious. I should probably watch it again...

THE HOLIDAY (2006)


 

I saw this movie with my sister in the theater on Christmas day - because the cinema's about the only thing open on a bank holiday - many many years ago. It's a funny story, since we actually saw the end of this movie first. We'd arrived a bit late and - assuming that the movie had already started - just went in without thinking. We sat down and then realized we'd walked in on the previous showing. Two minutes later the lights went on and we had no choice but to exit with everyone else. And then we went back in with the next people. The happy ending was kind of ruined but it's not like we didn't see that one coming, right? 

LOVE ACTUALLY (2003)


 

Another recent classic. This one is a masterpiece with an instant feel good effect. I normally don't like movies with multiple story lines - I can't help but pick my favourite characters and then want to only know more about them instead of the others -  but this one surprised me. For anyone who hasn't seen this one and needs (even more) convincing... two words: Hugh.Grant. 

HUIT FEMMES (2002)



One of my all time favourites. My mother (she's a French teacher) introduced us to this one and it was amazing! It is such a typical, absurd French movie like only they can make them. I mean it's a crime story and a musical (and I don't even like musicals that much), set around Christmas. Plus, I've been told the cast is pretty impressive. Need I say more? The story begins when a family gets together for Christmas and the father is found dead, stabbed in the back. The eight women in the house each have their motives and while they try to figure out who the killer is, a lot(!) of secrets come to the surface. Oh and the clothing and decor are stunning! Watch the trailer here

LITLLE WOMEN (1994)


So I guess this is the odd one out. It's not really a Christmas movie, but it has snow in it! And I used to watch it almost every Christmas break so I associate it with winter and a decorated tree in the background. I did read the book, but I just love the actors in this film, especially Winona Ryder. Watching it again brings back so many memories!


Happy Christmas!



PS: What's your favourite Christmas movie?

5 comments :

  1. Hey thanks for mentioning me! And I'm glad you posted your own version! I haven't seen a couple of these (Huit Femmes - which sounds awesome - and Little Women) but I want to change that. I, of course love Love Actually. Home Alone I actually cannot stand. I don't know why, I think I just watched it way too many times with friends over the years and it just always made me anxious... Sorry! I'm probably one of the few crazy people who don't like that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why Home Alone can have that effect on people! ;) And I really have to see that Finnish movie you mentioned... it sounded so cool!

      Delete
  2. The Holiday and Love Actually are my favvvvorites! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, those movies just breathe Christmas :) Happy holidays to you too!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Home Alone! And I just watched Love Actually for the first time this holiday season and I cried my eyes out haha. Def a new tradition!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...