January 25, 2015

DAILY ROUTINE: BOOKS I WANT TO READ THIS YEAR


I only barely finished my reading challenge last year, but that doesn't stop me from trying to up my game in 2015. Ever since I finished my Literature degree I've sort of been avoiding non-fiction books and even classics (anyone else with this problem?) so I decided to snap out of it. So - drum roll please - I've promised myself to try and read 10 classics this year (Bram Stoker's Dracula has been waiting for me for example, along with Jane Eyre). And because I assume this will all go like a breeze I really want to read the books above as well - you know, to add some contemporary (non-)fiction to the mix (or secretly just read books by women I admire). Congrats are in order for George Martin, the only male writer who made it to this preliminary list!

1. Kim Gordon - Girl in A Band (02/24/2015) 
I used to love reading about music and devour biographies of musicians. Hopefully this book will get me back into the groove of things. 

2. Mindy Kaling - Is Everyone Hanging out Without me? (2012)
I can't even believe I haven't read this one yet because I love Mindy!


3. George R.R. Martin- A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (2000)
After reading the first book I immediately bought the second... but then life just sort of happened and I never started reading. Shame on me, because now I have quite some catching up to do.

4. Lena Dunham - Not That Kind of Girl (2014)
Because she's got balls and why not?

5. Samantha Shannon - The Mime Order (01/27/2015)
I have been waiting for this book since finishing the first one last years in 24 hours and dropping down from exhaustion afterwards - Nick will verify this. Also, how is she so young and so good at this?

6. Malala - I am Malala (2013)

Because I should have read this book a long time ago. Every time I see an interview with this incredible young woman I am in awe and feel ridiculously immature. 


via
If there was a number 7 on the list, it would definitely be Stoner by John Williams, but since I'm almost finished with that one I didn't add it. Apparently it has made quite a comeback in Europe over the last years - it was first published in 1965 - and in Belgium it was sold out in a lot of stores right before the holidays. I don't know if it gained the same popularity again in the US, anyone? I can definitely recommend it though!

Those who want to see if I make good on my promises can follow me on Goodreads! I could use some more friends over there anyway.




Have you read/ are dying to read any of these books? Any recommendations?


PS: I finally figured out what was going wrong with installing Disqus to my blog... I apologize in advance for any previous comments that look cluttered now. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...