June 15, 2015

MUSIC: DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979 IN SAN DIEGO


Last weekend marked a milestone in my short lifetime because I FINALLY got to see Death From Above 1979. I first heard 'Romantic Rights' from You're A Woman, I'm A Machine in 2007 when I was still in high school and obsessed with music. I had just begun to realize that not all contemporary music was doomed and this was basically the best thing since stumbling upon 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor' or 'From Atlantis to Interzone' from the new British invasion around that time. So thank you, Youtube! And I'm not exaggerating when saying this band is the sole reason I ever bought a bass guitar (even if I don't play it anymore). What can I say? I like loud music. 


Do you know that feeling when you're listening to a song for the first time and it feels like you just hit gold? I mean I've had those aha moments before with a lot of different bands but for some reason I've always had a soft spot for two person bands (The Kills, The White Stripes, Blood Red Shoes, Royal Blood, Deap Vally, The DO, ...) and DFA 1979 are definitely one of the loudest around. Imagine my heartbreak when I found out the Canadian duo had already split up by that time...

Fast forward to 8 years later at the side stage of the Sleeptrain Ampitheatre in San Diego because there they were. Sebastian Grainger and Jesse F. Keeler. As if nothing ever happened. Allow me my fangirl moment. I have to admit that during those five years of radio silence before they reformed in 2011 I hadn't really kept track of them. I think along the way I even lost some of my passion for music, but now I am yet again obsessed. I have been listening to their new album The Physical World non stop and am already hoping to catch another show soon! I know they've always had a shaky live reputation - mainly because it's pretty hard to bang on those drums and sing at the same time - but that decade in between albums seems to have paid off. 




Absolute favourites so far: 'Nothing Left', 'Cheap Talk', 'Right on, Frankenstein' & 'White is Red' (!!)

How about you? Which bands swept you off your feet and/or are on your bucket list?  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...